Our ministries with and for children strive to:
- Ensure the safe care of all children and show God's love for all children
- Respect the value of children and nurture children's spirits, thoughts, emotions, and development
- Build a Christian faith community for children and teach inclusion of all children
- Teach and guide children in their relationship with God, in their learning about the Bible, and in their growing in faith and discipleship
- Involve children in service to others and in stewardship to the church and world.
Church School -- 9:30 to 10:30 am. (year round, but ending at 10:15 in the summer)
- Age defined and graded classes for Twos through Fifth Graders (Combined classes in the summer)
- Led by teaching teams of two to four adults in each class
- Using Live Big curriculum which is written for an ecumenical audience in the Threes through Third Grade classes
- Using Feasting on the Word curriculum which is a lectionary based curriculum for the Fourth and Fifth Grade class.
- Covering a broad range of stories from the Bible by the time a child completes 5th grade while incorporating people of faith from around the world, music, and Reformed theology
- Engaging children in a variety of ways by learning through art, music, movement, reading, sharing, thinking, and wondering about Bible stories.
2012-2013 Sunday School locations for classes:
Toddlers and Twos - Main level, first right, Walker-Nevin Bldg.
Threes and Fours - Upstairs, first right, Walker-Nevin Bldg.
K's and 1st graders - Upstairs, last left, Walker-Nevin Bldg.
2nd and 3rd graders - Upstairs, first left, Walker-Nevin Bldg.
4th and 5th graders - Upstairs, second right, Main Fellowship Hall Bldg.
Sunday Infant and Toddler Care -- 9:15 to 12:15 -- September through May
9:15 to 11:45 -- June, July, and August.
- Provided for Infants in our Nursery with our Childcare worker, Mara Thomas, and assistants (Nursery located in Walker-Nevin Bldg, Main level, second right)
- Provided for Toddlers and Twos in our Twos Room with Gretta Aschbacher, our Toddler Care Provider, and volunteer assistants (Located in Walker-Nevin Bldg, Lower level, second right)
Worship -- 11:00 a.m. (September through May) is:
- Where all children are welcome to worship with the entire congregation
- Where our children can participate in leadership through ushering, greeting, reading scripture, and singing in children's choirs
- Where our children learn about faith and are a part of a church family
During worship we provide
- For our youngest children, childcare is available in the Nursery and Toddler-Twos Room (see information above).
- Threes can go directly to "Bible Buddies." (See directions below)
- Fours and Kindergartners are encourages to go to worship for the first fifteen minutes and enjoy a conversation with the pastor, and then join the other children in "Bible Buddies." They leave worship when we sing "Jesus Loves Me."
- A table in the back of the sanctuary with items for elementary children who remain in worship. These supplies are to be used during worship and returned at the end of the service. Thank you!
"Bible Buddies" is a class for threes, fours, and K's to have an alternative during worship. During this hour we offer stories, songs, prayers, playtime, snacks, and crafts.
Service and Mission (ongoing all year) includes:
- Back to School Supplies in August for Kentucky Refugee Ministries and Highlands Community Ministries
- Thanksgiving Baskets in November for Highlands Community Ministries
- Christmas Angel Tree in December for Highlands Community Ministries
- Valentine's Bags in February for Kentucky Refugee Ministries
- A class adopting a child in need through an international program
- A class adopting a family in need through Highlands Community Ministries
- Going to a nearby nursing home to visit and take cards
- Writing and making cards for our homebound members
Wednesday Evening Dinner, Children's Music Ministries, and Childcare:
- Children Music Ministries have offerings for Fours through Fifth Graders. See the Music Ministries for more information.
- There are 2 paid childcare workers here on Wed. evenings for Toddlers-Threes.
- Adult Educational programs and fellowship are also offered. See the Adult Ministries.
Fellowship and Community (ongoing all year) includes:
See the calendar for complete and current opportunities.
- Church school parties
- Family Fellowships once a quarter
- Church-wide Fellowship events
Visit our Fellowship Page for more intergenerational programs.